Dr. Stephen Heitner, together with his colleagues at Oregon Health & Sciences University, published an article last week in the European Journal of Heart Failure which gives a glimpse into the treatment of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM) in the future. Although recent publications have stated that the majority of HCM patients today have a favorable prognosis when receiving appropriate treatment, a heavy disease burden continues to be placed upon patients. Hence, better and more effective treatments for HCM are still needed in order to lessen this burden.
Tag: Stephen Heitner
Simple Lifestyle Changes Can Improve HCM Symptoms
This article by Dr. Stephen Heitner of Oregon Health & Science University covers some simple lifestyle changes that can help HCM patients feel much better. In particular, Dr. Heitner mentions:
- Eating smaller meals and avoiding large carbohydrate rich meals.
- Avoiding dehydration
- Limiting alcohol
- Avoiding exercise after eating
- Engaging in moderate intensity exercise
- Managing weight
- Evaluating and treating sleep apnea and other sleep breathing disorders
- Getting appropriate treatment for anxiety and depression
The above lifestyle changes, combined with appropriate medical treatment, will keep HCM patients feeling their best.