This page is intended to serve as a listing of many items that a person having a myectomy may find useful as he or she prepares for surgery.
- A brief discussion of the two most frequenly used septal reduction techniques – Septal Myectomy and Alcohol Septal Ablation or ASA can be found on the page of this website entitled Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy – HCM for Short.
- My previous blog, Cynthia’s Summer Adventure, follows the process that I myself went through in the days leading up to and the recovery period after my own myectomy at Mayo Clinic.
- This list of iron rich foods was very helpful to me as I recovered from surgery. I was very anemic after surgery and barely got by without a transfusion. I was able to restore my iron levels by eating pretty much only foods on this list during the two months after surgery and taking a regular multi-vitamin.
- Some general guidelines about recovery from open heart surgery from the Society of Thoracic Surgeons.
- A great blog entry from myheartsisters.org about traveling as a heart patient. This article contains many helpful hints about travel which will come in handy for patients traveling to have a myectomy.
Videos About Myectomy:
- March 2017 Mayo Clinic Video on the History of Septal Myectomy
- October 2016 Mayo Clinic Connect Webinar with Dr. Steve Ommen and Dr. Hartzell Schaff discussing HCM and myectomy surgery, with a special focus on the Apical Myectomy. Also features question and answer session with patients.
- 2014 Mayo Clinic Video with Dr. Steve Ommen and Dr. Hartzell Schaff tracing the history of the myectomy from the 1960s through the present and how the surgery and the approach toward the surgery has changed over time. Includes description of Apical Myectomy
- 2013 Cleveland Clinic Informational Video About Long Term Results of Myectomy
- 2010 Cleveland Clinic Myectomy Informational Video – Dr. Nicholas Smedira
- 2009 Mayo Clinic Informational Video – Dr. Hartzell Schaff – Includes description of Apical Myectomy
Online Discussion Groups with helpful discussions about Myectomy:
- The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association has a helpful message board with many helpful strings by people who have previously been through the myectomy process. If you area searching for information on a particular subject within myectomy, the search feature can be very useful as well.
- For Mayo Clinic HCM Patients there is a closed Facebook group that you can join where you can find patients who have been through myectomy, are considering myectomy, or who are considering whether or not to visit Mayo Clinic for an evaluation.
- When I was preparing for my own surgery, I found the forums at ValveReplacement.org to be very helpful, even though they don’t specifically deal with myectomy. Valve surgery patients deal with very similar surgery and issues pre and post op.