This article by Dr. Stephen Heitner of Oregon Health & Science University covers some simple lifestyle changes that can help HCM patients feel much better. In particular, Dr. Heitner mentions:
- Eating smaller meals and avoiding large carbohydrate rich meals.
- Avoiding dehydration
- Limiting alcohol
- Avoiding exercise after eating
- Engaging in moderate intensity exercise
- Managing weight
- Evaluating and treating sleep apnea and other sleep breathing disorders
- Getting appropriate treatment for anxiety and depression
The above lifestyle changes, combined with appropriate medical treatment, will keep HCM patients feeling their best.
Editor’s Note: This is the 4th of 4 blog entries which summarizes the presentations given at the recent International HCM Summit VI in Boston. The presenter and their hospital affiliation are noted below, along with the topic of their presentation. When possible, you may access the presenters’ slides via hyperlink by clicking on the name. (Note that not all presenters made their slides available).