According to this recent article published in the Journal of the American Heart Association, lifestyle choices can influence the development and/or progression of HCM.
In particular, the authors made the following recommendations:
- Exercise: Recreational exercise should be encouraged in HCM patients.
- This recommendation was largely based on the findings of the recent RESET-HCM study which found that moderate exercise, specifically tailored to each individual patient’s capacity, was beneficial to the patient’s general health and well being. **For an in-depth look at the RESET-HCM study, check out this recent HCMBeat interview with the authors of the study, Drs. Sara Saberi and Sharlene Day.
- Eating and Drinking:
- Patients should avoid large meals and should not exercise immediately after eating.
- Care should be taken to avoid becoming dehydrated.
- Alcohol should only be consumed in moderation.
- Healthy weight should be maintained.
- Hypertension should be treated aggressively, though treatment may be challenging, especially in obstructive HCM.
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea, which may exist in as many as 70% of HCM patients, should be treated to minimize potential for arrhythmia and to improve blood flow.