This article by Dr. Stephen Heitner of Oregon Health & Science University covers some simple lifestyle changes that can help HCM patients feel much better. In particular, Dr. Heitner mentions:
- Eating smaller meals and avoiding large carbohydrate rich meals.
- Avoiding dehydration
- Limiting alcohol
- Avoiding exercise after eating
- Engaging in moderate intensity exercise
- Managing weight
- Evaluating and treating sleep apnea and other sleep breathing disorders
- Getting appropriate treatment for anxiety and depression
The above lifestyle changes, combined with appropriate medical treatment, will keep HCM patients feeling their best.